Lemon water is not for airy fairy yogis you find at your local Wholefoods. Your body is like an engine and in order for it to run smoothly you need to be pumping it up with some A-grade diesel.
When it comes to your morning beverage, a cup of coffee is the equivalent to punching your liver awake. Have a bit of respect and resist the urge to immediately order an espresso. A refreshing cup of lemon juice and warm water is the ultimate way to get off on a good foot. The benefits will amaze you and you can still have your lovely coffee afterwards.
- Your digestion will improve. The citric acid in lemons help the enzymes in your body make gastric juice. So this means less bloating, heartburn, burping, constipation and the ability to calm an upset stomach.
- Your liver will thank you for it. Lemon water helps flush out all the toxins from your liver. If you’re lifestyle isn’t the best then please give your liver a hand, it’s one of the hardest working organs in your body and is responsible for filtering out all the crap that goes inside your body. This is also one to keep in mind if you’re suffering from a hangover.
- Your skin will start to clear up, giving you a youthful and radiant look. The antioxidants in lemons can help with wrinkles and also blemishes. Expect your skin to look bright and fresh.
- You will shed the pounds and consume less. Pectin and polyphenols are the two main components of lemons which are linked to weight loss and suppressing your appetite.
- You will feel more switched on. The potassium in lemon helps with brain and nerve function. So if you incorporate lemon water as a daily habit you will begin to feel a boost in alertness.
- Your body will alkalise as the lemon water will help to balance pH levels. A highly acidic body can contribute to problems such as kidney stones, high blood pressure, thyoid problems, cancer, muscle loss and more. Even though lemons are acidic, once they enter the body that turn alkaline.
- You will build your immunity and experience less colds, flu and viruses. There are so many germs floating around the workplace and no one likes to get sick. Just two tablespoons of lemon juice is the equivalent to 20% of our daily need of vitamin C. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant which keeps us happy and healthy.
So now that you’ve got the why, let us give you the how:
Drink lemon water on an empty stomach to retain the full benefits. This means waiting 15 – 30 minutes before eating any breakfast.
Squeeze half a lemon into a cup and add warm water. It is important not to add hot water, as this will destroy up to 60% of the vitamin C if you do.
For an extra boost, add grated ginger to your lemon water. It’s a powerful anti-inflammatory and can ease feelings of nausea. Plus it gives it a great zesty taste.
Because lemon juice can wear away at tooth enamel, it’s very important that you dilute the lemon juice with water. Another way to protect yourself from this is to rinse your mouth with water after drinking.